Tax Prep for Freelancers

Get your annual taxes done for free at Freelancers Hub

Special Event
Tuesday April 9
Classroom 3
3:30 PM - 6:30 PM


Please login or register for an account in order to RSVP to this event

File your taxes safely and for free at a special one-day event hosted by the NYC Department of Consumer Affairs, Freelancers Hub, and Community Tax Aid. At this free pop-up tax site run by Community Tax Aid, a volunteer tax preparer with experience preparing taxes for self-employed filers and freelance workers will help you complete your annual estimated tax form.

To qualify for this free service, your 2018 gross income must have been:

• $55,000 or less if you will  file married filing jointly or have children OR

• $25,000 or less if you will file as single and do not have children

If you are filing a joint return, both spouses  must be present. For more information: visit nyc.gov/taxprep


  • Identification: Government-issued photo ID (includes  IDNYC)

  • Social Security Number or Individual Taxpayer Identification Numbers (ITIN) and birth dates for you, your spouse, and your dependents

  • Proof of Income: Forms W-2, 1098, 1099, or income and expense records if you are self-employed

Additional forms may include:

• Form W-2 (wages from each job)

• Form 1099-INT (interest)

• Form 1099-DIV  (dividends)

• Form 1099-R (retirement plans)

• Form W-2G (gambling winnings)

• Form 1099-G (unemployment)

• Form SSA-1099 (Social Security  benefits)

• Form 1099-MISC (miscellaneous income)

• Form 1099-K (deposits and earnings)

• Form 1099-B (sale of stock)

• Form 1098-T  (scholarships and grants)

• Form 1099-C (Cancellation of Debt)

• Form 1098-T  (tuition payments to attend  a university or technical college)

• Form 1098-E (interest paid on student loans) Other income documentation may include:

• Log books showing income received and clients served (Raw estimates are not acceptable)

• Copies of bank statements

• Other documentation of business expenses, including:

• Paid invoices

• Remitted checks

• Credit card charges

• Information about any home office

*Raw estimates are not acceptable.

Tax Prep for Freelancers

  • Filed Forms 1040-ES (federal) and IT-2105  (New York State) showing estimated tax payments for 2018

  • Copy of 2017 federal and State tax returns (if available)

  • Proof of health insurance  coverage (Forms 1095-A,1095-B,  or 1095-C) or Health Insurance Exemption Certificate (if applicable) for you, your spouse, and your dependents

  • Payment records for child care, including the provider’s name, address, and Employer Identification Number, Taxpayer Identification Number, or Social Security number

  • Records of cash and non-cash charitable contributions

  • Account and routing numbers for direct deposit of your refund